I have to gush on this new recipe that I just tried. It is so good and easy! Took me a total of 20 minutes to get it made and together. I found the recipe at Taylor Made. I followed the recipe almost to a T, but did not add the egg, and I had to use garlic salt with parsley instead of garlic powder.
So here is the recipe:
- 4 oz whole wheat penne pasta – cook according to directions
- 3-4 cups fresh organic baby spinach – I used 4 cups because I really like Spinach
- 1 egg – this is optional in the recipe, I did not use it
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese – you can add more or less depending on how you feel about Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper – I did not use this spice because I am not a big fan of spicy, but you can add more or less than recommended depending on your preference
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder – I used garlic salt with parsley
- salt and pepper to taste – Since I used garlic salt, I did not add salt. I just added a bit of pepper
I did not completely follow the directions from the original recipe. Here is what I did.
- Prepared Penne Pasta in a pot following the directions on the box. After pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
- Using a food processor, grind spinach until very fine, you can add an egg here but I did not. Transfer spinach to a large bowl and add olive oil, cheese, garlic salt, and pepper (any additional spices that you decide to use would be added here as well). Stir.
- Add drained pasta to Spinach mixture. Stir until pasta is lightly coated with mixture.
- Serve! 🙂
This can also be paired with grilled or baked chicken if you want to add more proteins.
The great thing about this dish is it is versatile. You can pretty much pair it with any protein, or serve it by itself. I made a little bit more than the recommended serving size so I would have leftovers. The pasta was still amazing the next day during lunch! What a great and easy dinner option. Many thanks to Taylor Bee!