The other night I was baking chicken, and really wanted something to pair with it that was easy and light tasting. So I decided on whole grain rice and veggies. It turned out really lovely. Just make sure and give yourself enough time for the rice to fully cook.
Whole Grain Rice and Veggies 🙂
- Whole Grain Rice
- 1 can of low sodium chicken broth (organic is preferable)
- about 2-3 cups of water (depending on how much rice you make, follow the directions on rice packaging)
- 10-15 organic baby carrots chopped in 1/2 inch slices (I like the baby carrots because they seem a bit sweeter to me than regular carrots, but either is fine)
- 1 organic green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
The rice I used took 45 minutes to cook on the stove top, so make sure you start the rice before you start your protein unless you want your protein cold.
- Prepare Rice according to packaging except substitute 1 cup of water for 1 can of chicken broth.
- Before your water/broth starts to boil, add the bell pepper and carrots, garlic powder and pepper. Stir.
- Once the water boils, add rice and refer to packaging directions for cook-time.
Most of the water/broth should be absorbed by the rice. You may notice the bell pepper swell as they also sponge up some of the water. Once the rice is done, spoon out onto plates with your protein and enjoy.
This recipe was really great and I love the flavor. It is not overwhelming, but it adds enough to complement the baked chicken I paired with it. Also, feel free to add some spice to your rice if you like. This rice is pretty versatile. It is also great by itself.