Good Afternoon Ya’ll
So I tried out a recipe originally found here, but I did not have everything in my pantry that this recipe called for, so I improvised. Here you go:
Quick and Easy Shepherd’s Pie:
What you will need:
13×9 baking dish, high sides preferred
For the Potato layer:
- 10-15 red potatoes (depending on size of potato), chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk, (2% can be used here)
- 2 TBSP. salt free butter
- 1 tsp. salt
For the Meat Mixture:
- 2 Lbs. Ground Beef (can substitute turkey or ground chicken)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP garlic salt
- 1 TBSP ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP whole wheat flour
- 1 can Onion and garlic diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I chose Monterrey jack cheese)
Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
For the Potato layer:
- Wash red potatoes thoroughly. Dice into 1/2 inch slices. Place in pot, cover with water. Salt. Bring water and potatoes to a boil, cook until fork slides easily into potato. (about 20 minutes)
- Drain the water from the pot. Mash potatoes. Add butter and milk. Continue to mash until desired consistency. (I like tiny lumps, but the more smooth the better). Cover and set aside.
For the Meat Layer:
- In a large 12inch skillet, over medium to medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until brown and onions are slightly translucent. Drain grease.
- Place drained meat mixture in skillet, sprinkle flour evenly over the meat mixture. Stir and cook for about 1 minute (a light gravy should form). Stir in diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Stir in frozen peas, carrots and corn. Cook another 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Lightly grease a 13×9 baking dish. (Try to use a dish with higher sides.)
- Pour meat mixture into prepared dish. Spread masked potatoes evenly over the top. Top potatoes with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before eating.
Pretty easy huh! This was really good, and it made enough where we had enough for left overs. Gotta love that! Give it a try and let me know what you think. Did you modify the recipe even more? Please comment below!!
Until next time,