I am one of those people who love leftovers and all the different ways they can be used to make a new meal. Well I have a yummy one for you today that uses leftover sweet corn bread (see linked recipe below). Mind you, this is probably not “healthy” but it will fill you up and leave you with some to take for lunch the next day! Gotta love that!!
So lets jump right in.
Things you will need:
- 9×13 casserole dish
- 4-6 quart pot
- 1-2 lbs. ground meat (I used beef, but feel free to sub ground turkey or chicken)
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 2 Tbsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce)
- 1 can sweet green peas, drained
- 1 can sweet kernel corn, drained
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes-peeled and chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 pie or 4 slices of sweet corn bread-crumbled (I like this recipe)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or your favorite cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Crumble cord bread and fill the bottom of your casserole dish.
- In your pot, boil potatoes in water with a pinch of salt until soft or when a fork slides easily through. Drain water.
- Mash potatoes and add Butter. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Add Mushroom soup. Stir well. Set aside.
- In your skillet on medium to medium-high heat, add your ground meat, onion, garlic salt, and seasoning salt. Brown meat and cook until there is very little to no liquid and onions are translucent. (Note: if you have excess drippings, drain them and add your meat mixture back to the skillet)
- Add BBQ sauce. Stir well, on medium heat. Once mixed well, add peas and corn, stir. Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- In your casserole dish with the corn bread on the bottom, pour your meat mixture on top and spread evenly over the corn bread. Then scoop your mashed potatoes onto the meat mixture, spread evenly. (feel free to salt and pepper again if you want)
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and has light tanning around the edges.
- Remove from oven, top with green onions, and serve!
Y’all it really is that easy! This meal could easily serve four adults, so expect leftovers. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Until next time,